Monday, December 13, 2010

Mental Foodie review

Mental Foodie
December 11, 2010

Book Review - Red in the Flower Bed: An Illustrated Children's Story about Interracial Adoption by Andrea Nepa

by Christa B.

First Sentence:
One day, a seed dropped from a poppy flower onto the earth below.

Why did I pick this book?
I was approached by Tribute Books to see if I was interested in reviewing this book. Since I don't have children so I hardly read any children's books. However, since this book was about adoption, and one of my sisters-in-law was adopted, I was curious.

My thoughts:
  • What a cute and colorful book!
  • It is hard for me to rate this book since I don't usually read children's book, and with no children, I won't know how they'd like it. So I'd have to judge it from an adult's perspective
  • I think this is a book that would be understood more by an adult than a child - the implied message, the symbolism, and the metaphor. The description said "the book's loving approach helps children to understand adoption" -- I wonder how much children would truly understand about adoption from this book. Maybe I am underestimating how much children know nowadays... or maybe I was just a dumb kid :) (I suppose, children can be anything from 0-18 years old... so it's hard to say at what age would the child see through the story)
  • I hope when the author's adopted daughter read it when she grew up, she'd understand the love from her mother for her

Quote:




Rating: 3.5 Stars

No comments:

Post a Comment