Wednesday, December 15, 2010

Flying Off the Shelves review

Flying Off the Shelves
December 15, 2010

Red in the Flower Bed

by Beth Sherrard-Maurin

Red In The Flower Bed
By: Andrea Nepa [Website, Facebook]
Paperback: 28 pages
Publisher: Tribute Books (2008) [Facebook]
ISBN: 978-0981461991 (0981461999)
Genre: Children, Education, Adoption
Reading level: Ages 4-8
To Buy from Tribute Books and Amazon
A portion of the book's proceeds benefits Paul's Kids.

The first thing I noticed about this book is the beautiful simplicity of the images. As I started to read my heart absolutely melted. Andrea Nepa did a wonderful job at explaining adoption without actually going into confusing detail. I really appreciated that because I have no background on this topic or how it can be for parents and children. I also love how the poppy (child) found their place in a diverse garden (family) who was happy to welcome her.

Another good thing about this book is that it lends itself to parents or teachers for arts and crafts. I think having an application in the classroom or in the home as a project is important because it helps bring the subject into reality for kids. As a project I would suggest have the kids make flowers of themselves (parents or teachers too!) and bring them all together so the diversity can be seen and appreciated. Overall, I give this book a four and mark it as a must read for adopted children.

Favorite Page
This is the page that best represented this book and the idea behind the book for me.

1 comment: