Friday, December 3, 2010

The Bluestocking Guide review

The Bluestocking Guide
December 3, 2010

Red in the Flower Bed

by Brooke Bonett

This little book helps children understand adoption, particularly interracial adoption. The story is about a little poppy seed that is sent away to grow and bloom away from it "mother" because it is better for the little seed.

It was a very cute story. I liked the message that having diversity in the family life is a good thing.

I don’t have any children of my own, but if I did I would definitely use this book to teach them about adoption, particularly if I was doing an interracial adoption or I know someone who was doing an interracial adoption. I think a child will be able to grasp the concepts in this book quite easily.

Actually even if you aren’t considering adoption, I think this is an excellent primer for teaching children that racial diversity is a good thing.

But that’s me.

No comments:

Post a Comment